Thursday 28 April 2016

Altered Cigar Box

Well after several days I have finally finished my cigar box for The Creative Carte Blanche Challenge this month titled "Thinking Outside The Box". Do grab a cuppa and have a look at the other entries and the wonderful teams boxes here.


I started with a very traditional wooden cigar box.


Which was given a coat of white gesso on the outside,


but not on the inside as I knew I would line it with paper and black felt.


The outside was then painted with Fresco Chalk Acrylic in Pea Coat and Evergreen, then small areas of Weathered Wood and then Stone acrylic paint.


Then using a Stencil Girl sun burst stencil applied some Grunge Paste that I had coloured with Beach Hut paint. Next I added some letters to the top and bottom using a Dylusions stencil.


The next couple of days I spent undecided on how to proceed ------ spent some tome searching for a clasp/knob ----


This I took off of an embroidery hoop that is designed to be hung to display the embroidery.

Finally I stamped some script to the 4 sides using a stamp from Studio 490 Art from the Heart set in Sepia Archival ink. This I embossed with clear EP.

Next I stamped a page from an old book with flowers from a Heartfelt Creations set in black archival ink and clear embossed these also. They were then painted with various colours of the Fresco Chalk Acrylic paint from the Translucent Range.


These were cut out, shaped and layered to form the 2 flowers on the top of the lid. The swirls and leaves were die cut and before everything was stuck in place the embossed script and the grunge paste were rubbed with small amounts of Treasure Pewter.


I added metal flowers from a jewellery kit to the centres of the 3 sunbursts on the lid.


Buttons were added to the centres of the 2 flowers.


Now I have a box that I am very pleased with !!!


So I've finished just before the closing date for the challenge but I'm glad I didn't rush the last steps as I fell sure I would not have been so happy with the end result.


Thanks as always for stopping by, hope your week has gone well so far and enjoy the weekend when it arrives. Bye for now Jane x












6 comments:

  1. What a great transformation this is, Jane! I love all the lovely details throughout. So happy you joined us this month at Creative Carte Blanche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Jane! Every layer adds to the effect, very well done! Thanks for joining in at Creative Carte Blanche, I hope we'll see much more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your box is fantastic! Your flowers are gorgeous and I love the sunbursts too along with all the other fab detail! Thank you for your lovely comments on my box too! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jane...this altered cigar box is amazing! Your exterior is very neat! I love the blues and the washed look you've done mixed with the stenciled images. Your flowers are just the coolest! Lots of work went into those but worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh this is beautiful Jane, your flowers are amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane. Me again with a quick stop by to thank you so much for your lovely comments you left for me. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the 3Ws adventure! I totally loved your altered cigar box!

    ReplyDelete