Saturday 23 August 2014

Inspiration From Linda Cain's Journal Page

My blog entry today was inspired by Linda Cain's wonderful journal page for PaperArtsy's weekly blog challenge, to view this masterpiece click on the link.  Here



This took me several days to complete as after the first stage I was not sure whether to continue, then having gone back to it a day later and added the main 3 flowers I was convinced it should go in the bin! Then I read Deborah Wainwright's blog on her interpretation of the same journaling page and I thought ok I shall look again tomorrow with fresh eyes and a clear mind and hey -- this is how it turned out. Although I really would like to start a journal I haven't got round to it as yet so I have made this into a birthday card.

Items Used
PaperArtsy Fresco Chalk paints in Guacamole, Nougat, Snowflake, Blush, Mermaid and Spanish Mulberry.
Archival ink in Jet Black
Imagination Crafts Stencil Bay Leaf
PaperArtsy stamp sets; Bloom, Tops and Tails 6 and Jofy 12
Permanent ink pens in black, blue and white.
Light grey water based felt tip pen.
Happy Birthday peel-of.
DI ink in Bundled sage, Victorian Velvet and peeled paint

To begin with I sponged the paint onto the white card, details can be seen on PaperArtsy's Blog.

I didn't take any photos of the various stages as I felt all the way along that it would end up in the recycling bag.

Next I drew around the stencil for the 3 delphinium type flowers and coloured in the stripes for the stems. Wasn't sure about the colour of the middle flower so I added a little victorian velvet DI through the stencil to tone it down slightly. I then cut out various pieces of an old book page for the larger flower, stuck them on and added some shading with the grey pen.

Next I added a little snowflake paint with my finger to the area where I wanted to add the sign, I then stamped the bird and sign ( this is so cute) in black archival ink , added some shading and coloured in the beak with a pencil. The bottom border of grasses and flowers was then stamped in the black.

The daisy type flowers were then randomly stamped without putting the stamp on a block. These were then painted with watered down snowflake paint.
Next the leaves were added by sponging the 2 green DIs through a home made stencil. Once dry the white edges were drawn on with the white pen.

Still not quite convinced about the project  I added some paper petals to the daisy flowers, started to add some dots and circles with a black pen--- hmm I'm beginning to think this is ok.

Added the blue dashes to the edges--- but now wished the pen had been a little thicker and a tad darker but hey ho.

Lastly I stamped don't eat the daisies and I was then feeling reasonably happy with the end result.


I really think the added dots etc are what made the biggest difference.



I love this little character.


I would like to enter this piece for PaperArtsy's Weekly Challenge.

Thank you for reading this page and if there is one thing we should all do sometimes is take a step back and start afresh another day. Have a good Bank Holiday Weekend if you are lucky enough to not be working, take care and hopefully see you soon for another crafty session  Jane x

PS thank you all for your lovely comments on my last entry, they were all much appreciated X.





3 comments:

  1. I love it Jane and am drawn to the forlorn little bird who is just fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well this is just gorgeous, well done for persevering with it. End result - fab!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely! Great details and doodles - they really make it

    ReplyDelete